Wednesday 5 October 2011

growing up

I read the most amazing book a few months ago. The kind of book that when you put down you sit in awe once you finish. When I finished it and sat in my completely quiet room for almost an hour. Which then reminded my of a quote from the book the protagonist says after he finishes The Naked Lunch:

'After I finished, I just laid around in my bed, looking at the ceiling, and smiled because it was a nice kind of quiet'

It's as if the author knew how readers would feel after finishing his book and put it in to be cheeky. Anyway, this is the kind of book that really changes the way you think. It's called 'The Perks of Being A Wallflower' and it was written in 1999 by Stephen Chbosky. I know it's a well-known book but not enough people have read it!  Unfortunately it is in post-production to be made into a film, which kinda stinks because the book is all about the protagonist Charlie's inner emotions and that's super hard to show in a film. Fortunately, however, Emma Watson is in it, and she's a total babe, so, like the Harry Potter films (more on that another time), we at least get something nice to look at. It's all about growing up and feeling like an outcast, something we've all experienced, but if I had this book then I would have known that when things aren't good they will be soon enough. Here's my favourite quote:

'So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.'

So yeah, totally read it, it's only $12 on The Book Depository, or if you know me, ask me nicely and I'll lend you my copy.









2 comments:

  1. Reading this book made me wish I grew up as a teenager in the 90's.
    And, by the way, I learnt something new from your post! I had always assumed the book was published in the early 90's because that's when it's set. But, in fact, it was not, as you pointed out.
    I like that this book is well known but not often talked about. It's the kind of book that doesn't need words because if you have read it, and someone else has read it, you both just know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I like that too, I want everyone to read it but on the other hand I want to keep it to myself! And what you say about people just knowing totally reminds me of another quote:

    'Sam and Patrick looked at me. And I looked at them. And I think they knew. Not anything specific really. They just knew. And I think that's all you can ever ask from a friend'

    Spooky!

    ReplyDelete