Wednesday 12 October 2011

tina fey: my heroin(e)

Where would I be in life without television? I know it's the box that rots your imagination, but I wont convince any of you that I don't watch TV. When I was younger the only show I had interest in was Home and Away. I stand by my theory that you know you've met a nice boy or girl when you find out they watched Home and Away, it should have brought them up just nicely. And if they tell you they cried when Noah died, marry them. I cried when Noah died. There are so many television shows that I watch these days, but none on TV, I spend hundreds of dollars a month on DVDs. I know that I should be anti-television, because it's killing my industry, but I am starting to embrace it just as another form of writing. For example, 30 Rock. What a brilliantly crafted show, so cleverly written. Writer Tina Fey, who brought you Mean Girls and all the funny SNL skits has been writing this for a few years now, and it's amazing. She's amazing. 'I want to go to there'. Wife that bitch. Shut it down.

Anyway, since I attempted my first proper script for a short film a few months ago, I've discovered the joys of reading scripts. Obviously I enjoy watching the show more to see how the actor delivers the line, but reading the script you get a better feeling of how the line was intended to be said. The Writers Strike of a few years back still didn't do enough. Next time you watch a show check the credits to see who wrote it, and see if you remember them. Sure, the actors are brilliant in television series' these days (see Breaking Bad, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother), but give some credit to the writer, who probably slaved away making sure your favourite show was perfect.

If you're interested, here is my script I wrote for a short film. It's called Ghost, and I think it's pretty funny (then again I think I'm always funny) and I hope you do too.

Ghost



No comments:

Post a Comment